Smart Commute is bringing you an easier way to get home in the event of an unplanned emergency! Employees can submit Emergency Ride Home Program claims online at emergencyridehome.ca. It’s faster, more convenient and best of all, there’s no registration necessary!
Please read the following information carefully and keep the package for your records as it contains important details about how to use the Emergency Ride Home Program.
How it Works:
The Emergency Ride Home (ERH) Program provides workplace commuters with easy access to transportation alternatives in the event of a personal emergency. When you have an emergency on the day that you used a sustainable mode of transportation when travelling to work, you as the commuter have the opportunity to arrange your own ride home via taxi, public transit, or rental car. Expenses, once approved by Smart Commute, will be reimbursed up to $75 per trip. There are no limits to the number of claims you can make in a given month or year. However, second and subsequent claims in a single calendar year will be verified with your workplace supervisor by Smart Commute.
How to Submit an ERH Claim:
To submit an Emergency Ride Home claim, simply:
- Arrange for transportation that suits your needs such as transit, taxi, or rental car. Rides will be reimbursed up to $75 per claim.
- Pay for the transportation service(s) used and retain all receipts.
- Visit emergencyridehome.ca to make a claim. Complete the claim form, scan and upload your ride receipt(s) and click on the “Submit Request” button. Your claim will be reviewed by Smart Commute for approval.
Online reimbursement requests are recommended
Employee commuters who wish to submit their reimbursement requests by regular mail may download the Reimbursement Form at emergencyridehome.ca, complete all required fields, include all original receipts for transportation services, and send it to the address provided below. Smart Commute recommends photocopying the form and receipts before mailing the request.
Reimbursement requests can be mailed to:
Attention: Smart Commute
97 Front Street W.
Toronto, ON M5J 1E6
Smart Commute will process the request and if approved will mail a cheque within 4 to 6 weeks.
Please note your workplace supervisor may be contacted by a Smart Commute representative to confirm that you have:
a) Used sustainable transportation the day you reported the claim.
b) Used some other form of transportation to get home.
The Emergency Ride Home Program may be used for the following emergencies:
- Personal or family illness, accident, injury or emergency situation.
- Unscheduled overtime, approved by a supervisor.
- Unplanned absence of a carpooling partner due to his or her having to leave early or stay late unexpectedly.
The program may not be used for the following cases:
Situations where travel could have been arranged in advance are not covered. Other situations that are not covered include, but are not limited to:
- Pre-planned overtime known to commuters.
- Overtime performed without a manager request.
- Pre-planned medical or personal appointments.
- Pre-planned or known absence of a carpool partner.
- Business travel.
- Personal errands.
- Missed transit connections.
- Transit delays or cancellations.
- Weather-related emergencies.
- Natural disasters.
- Building closures.
- Power outages.
Smart Commute reserves the right to track individual usage and verify the reason for rides. Smart Commute reserves the right to deny reimbursement.