Smart Commute Hamilton is an association led by the City of Hamilton which works with local businesses and community organizations to provide programs and initiatives that encourage the use of active and sustainable transportation. The initiative takes immediate action on climate change and health in the GTHA through transportation efficiency, policy development, and infrastructure renewal.
Smart Commute offers a wide array of services to make commuting easier in the GTHA.
- Carpooling and vanpooling: exclusive ridematching programs for employers
- Site assessments and surveys to understand employee commute behaviour
- Shuttle programs
- Emergency Ride Home (ERH) programs
- Employee work arrangement solutions: telework, compressed work weeks and flex hours, workshops, lunch and learns and seminars
- Incentives and promotions
- Bike Month, Bike to Work Day, Smart Commute Month, Carpool Week and other fun events
Since 2005, Smart Commute users have saved millions of dollars and have prevented over 24,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions; the equivalent of about 9 million bricks. Watch your own savings grow as you plan the best trip here.
Smart Commute Hamilton has 26 workplace members, representing over 120,000 commuters.
Smart Commute Hamilton developed a business plan to guide the organization from 2017 to 2018. The plan sets six ambitious goals and corresponding actions that will help support our workplace members. Smart Commute Hamilton 2018 Business Plan
Our Year in Review
The City of Hamilton has released their 2016 Sustainable Mobility Programs Annual Report. The Annual Report provides a high-level review of sustainable mobility programs in 2016, including the data and analysis of the results. Click here to view the 2016 Annual Report.
Smart Commute by the Numbers
- 22 employers
- 92,000+ employees and post-secondary students
- 170,240 km of non-SOV trips made (or going around the world 4.25 times!!!)
- 37.85 tonnes of Co2 avoided*
- $37,860 saved*