What is Emergency Ride Home?
The Emergency Ride Home program is available to employees of Smart Commute Hamilton member workplaces. It gives commuters who take sustainable modes of transportation (walking, cycling, transit and carpooling) assurance that they have a way to get home in urgent circumstances.
A common barrier to using sustainable transportation is that when an emergency arises, commuters will have to pay for a bus or taxi for a quick ride home. Emergency Ride Home eliminates this problem by offering ‘commuter insurance’, which will reimburse the cost of your ride home should the occasion arise (some conditions apply).
How to file a claim:
In the event that you have to leave work in an emergency, and had walked, cycled, took transit or carpooled that day:
- Leave work to address your situation.
- Save your ride receipt (e.g. taxi receipt, transit transfer) in order to be eligible to make a claim.
- File a claim on the Emergency Ride Home website as soon as possible.
- Make a copy of the receipts for your records and mail the original receipts to the Smart Commute team at:Transportation Planning, City of Hamilton
77 James St. N., Suite 400
Hamilton, ON, L8R 2K3
If your receipts are electronic (i.e. Uber, Lyft, or other ride-hailing services), submit a PDF of the email receipt on the claim form. You do not need to physically mail an electronic receipt.
- Once your claim has been processed, you’ll receive your reimbursement in four to six weeks.
You will be reimbursed up to $75, which may include a tip of up to 20 per cent from work. Commuters are responsible for initial payment of all costs and are responsible for costs exceeding the maximum.
Please see this link for a full list of conditions and details