Smart Commute Hamilton is an association led by the City of Hamilton which works with local businesses and community organizations to provide programs and initiatives that encourage the use of active and sustainable transportation. The initiative takes immediate action on climate change and health in the GTHA through transportation efficiency, policy development, and infrastructure renewal.
Smart Commute offers a wide array of services to make commuting easier in the GTHA.
- Carpooling and vanpooling: exclusive ridematching programs for employers
- Site assessments and surveys to understand employee commute behaviour
- Shuttle programs
- Emergency Ride Home (ERH) programs
- Employee work arrangement solutions: telework, compressed work weeks and flex hours, workshops, lunch and learns and seminars
- Incentives and promotions
- Bike Month, Bike to Work Day, Smart Commute Month, Carpool Week and other fun events
- Customized solutions to help your workplace based on your needs. Additional services include:
- Employer relocation support and/or new facility planning
- Parking studies
- Employee individualized marketing
- Travel counts and mode audits
- Focus groups
- Special workshop campaigns
- Commuting travel sheets
- Sustainable travel signage
- Mapping and postal code analysis
- Examples of customized workplace solutions that we have completed include:
Since 2005, Smart Commute users have saved millions of dollars and have prevented over 24,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions; the equivalent of about 9 million bricks. Watch your own savings grow as you plan the best trip here.
Smart Commute Hamilton developed a business plan to guide the organization from 2017 to 2018. The plan sets six ambitious goals and corresponding actions that will help support our workplace members. Smart Commute Hamilton 2018 Business Plan
Our Year in Review
The City of Hamilton has released their 2018 Sustainable Mobility Programs Annual Report. The Annual Report provides a high-level review of sustainable mobility programs in 2018, including the data and analysis of the results.