Walking or cycling is not only an enjoyable commute option but it provides significant economic, health, and environmental benefits as well.
Walking or cycling to work can save you time spent waiting in traffic. No longer do you have to worry about delays caused by traffic congestion, ensuring that your commute is both reliable and efficient.
Eliminate the financial costs of parking, fuel, and vehicle maintenance by walking or cycling to work.
Walking and cycling energizes the mind while reducing fatigue, stress, and tension. Studies show that cycling and walking can decrease the risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, depression, and other illnesses. Just 30 minutes of brisk walking and/or cycling each day can improve both your mental and physical health.
Reduce Your Carbon Footprint
Choosing to walk or cycle to work means you are significantly improving air quality, as both commute modes produce zero greenhouse gas emissions. By driving 10% less and choosing active commute options instead, a person can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 0.2 to 0.8 tonnes per year.
- Check out the Toronto Cycling Map
- Plan your next cycling route with Ride the City
- Take a CAN-Bike course
- Learn about bike safety
- Register your bike with the Toronto Police
- Information for new commuter cyclists
- Try out the new Bicycle Parking Stations
- Take your bike on transit
- Join a Toronto Walking Tour
- Get updates on pedestrian-related programs by subscribing to the City of Toronto’s Pedometer Newsletter
- Learn about Discovery Walks
- Take advantage of the convenience of PATH
- Discover the joys and benefits of walking through our Activate Your Commute program