Use Your Feet, Get Healthy and Save Money!
The average person can walk 0ne kilometre in ten minutes. Walking is free, emits zero emissions and is a great way to incorporate physical activity into your daily life. Try walking on your lunch hour and breaks to run errands.
- Walking refreshes the mind, reduces fatigue and increases energy.
Walking with friends or co-workers can be a fun social activity.
- More than half the body’s muscles are designed for walking;
it is a natural movement that is virtually injury-free.
- Health Canada recommends that adults engage in half an hour of
moderate to vigorous activity at least once a day. Walking to work is the perfect way to fit in your daily quota.
- Walking builds a sense of place and improves social relationships as people who walk know their neighbours and their community. Walking is also good for our local economy by supporting local shops and businesses.
Or take it up a notch and skateboard, rollerblade or run. There are many trails throughout York Region so you can avoid some of our busiest streets. You can even combine public transit with active commuting.
- Look all ways before crossing, even at one-way streets.
- Cross only at intersections and obey your signals.
- Make sure you’re visible at night; wear light or reflective material.
- If you use earphones, make sure you can still hear emergency sirens and honking horns.