About the Awards
The Smart Commute Awards were introduced in 2007 to officially recognize employer members or partners who have put forth exceptional effort in implementing Smart Commute programs. The awards recognize outstanding commitment, leadership, innovation and results.
Honourable Mentions and Special Recognition
Smart Commute Brampton-Caledon’s very own Nestle Canada was 1 of 3 Honourable Mentions for Program of the Year at the awards! A big congratulations to Nestle as their program continues to grow and diversify its services in order to support sustainable commuting.
We would also like to congratulate Loblaws and TJX Canada for their special recognition:
– Most improved mode shift to non-Single Occupant Vehicle
(500+ employees – +17% Loblaws)
– Best overall non-single occupancy vehicle mode share
(200 – 500 employees – 56% TJX Canada)
– Workplace with the most carpoolers
(200 – 500 employees – 31% TJX Canada & 500+ employees – 44% Loblaws)
In previous years, the 13 transportation management associations (TMAs) from across the GTHA were invited to nominate their top members and partners. This year, for the first time Smart Commute workplaces were asked to self-nominate. Our expert review panel determined a Smart Commute Employer of the Year Award winner for each of the five regions from which nominations were received: Halton, Hamilton, Peel, Toronto and York. From these winners, one has been selected by the panel to receive the top honour: the overall Regional Employer of the Year.
In addition, a Smart Commute Rising Star Award was given out for the first time this year, acknowledging a workplace that is achieving outstanding success in their first year in the program.
The Smart Commute Champion Award celebrates the ‘above and beyond’ achievements of an individual or group whose contribution has been integral to the success of a Smart Commute program anywhere in the region.
The awards were given out on November 26, 2014 at St. Lawrence Hall in Toronto. Award winners include:
- Regional Employer of the Year (GTHA) – Mississauga
- Smart Commute Rising Star Award – Honda Canada Inc.
- Smart Commute Champion Award – Rebekah Jackson-Gravely & Joceline Turner
- Smart Commute Employer of the Year, Halton Region – L-3 WESCAM
- Smart Commute Employer of the Year, Hamilton – Horizon Utilities Corporation
- Smart Commute Employer of the Year, Peel Region – City of Mississauga
- Smart Commute Employer of the Year, Toronto – University Health Network
- Smart Commute Employer of the Year, York Region – Advanced Micro Devices
Congratulations to all the 2014 winners!