Smart Commute Hamilton is an association led by the City of Hamilton which works with local businesses and community organizations to provide programs and initiatives that encourage the use of active and sustainable transportation. The initiative takes immediate action on climate change and health in the GTHA through transportation efficiency, policy development and infrastructure renewal.
Smart Commute offers a wide array of services to make commuting easier in the GTHA.
- Carpooling and vanpooling: exclusive ridematching programs for employers
- Site assessments and surveys to understand employee commute behaviour
- Shuttle programs
- Emergency Ride Home (ERH) programs
- Employee work arrangement solutions: telework, compressed work weeks and flex hours, workshops, lunch and learns and seminars
- Incentives and promotions
- Bike Month, Smart Commute Week and other fun events
In just five years, Smart Commute users have saved over ten million dollars and prevented 24,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions; the equivalent of about 9 million bricks. Watch your own savings grow as you plan the best trip here.
Smart Commute Hamilton has 23 workplace members, representing over 92,000 commuters.
Smart Commute Hamilton developed a business plan to guide the organization from 2015 to 2016. The plan sets four ambitious goals and corresponding actions that will help support our workplace members. Smart Commute Hamilton 2015 – 2016 Business Plan.
Smart Commute by the Numbers
- 17 employers
- 89, 395 employees and post-secondary students
- 730,000 Vehicle Kilometers Travelled avoided
- 158,000 Green House Gas savings
- $471,000 Commuter savings