- Save money – on gas, parking and vehicle wear and tear.
- Save time –use the HOV lanes and cruise past traffic congestion. Park in a reserved carpool parking spot close to the entrance of your workplace.
- Save the environment – driving only 10% less can reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 0.2 to 0.8 tonnes per year, depending on the vehicle.
- Save the stress – carpooling sparks new and lasting friendships and alleviates the stress of driving alone.
Before carpooling with someone, we recommend you meet over coffee or lunch to discuss the details. Some of the points you may want to cover include:
- Schedule: Determine which days of the week you will carpool and departure times.
- Driving costs: If you share the driving, then no money is exchanged, but if not, the sole driver needs to be compensated.
- Carpool etiquette: Discuss radio preferences. Are eating, drinking and smoking allowed? How long will you wait before leaving? Are stops allowed along the way?
- Trial period: Consider a 1-2 week trial period to determine if this carpool arrangement works for you.